Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Random Bar Review

So last night I paid my first visit to Union Hall in Park Slope, BK.  I haven't ventured into BK much outside of Williamsburgh or Bushwick, so I was looking forward to checking out the spot, which I'd heard and read good things about.  I accompanied my co-worker and fellow contributor (hopefully) who was going to watch her friend sing in a band.  Although I was not enthused by the 8 dollar cover, the $3  PBR and Bud's quickly exorcised the demons, and I found myself warming up to the place very quickly.  You feel like your hanging out in a Robert Louis Stevenson novel, the decor evoking some 19th century Ivy League library.  The walls are covered in old books, the furniture is all antique, and there is a strong enthusiasm for taxidermy.  Sounds amazing, I know...

The place also had a fairly 'cool' crowd, and by 'cool' i mean not overflowing with hipsters sporting their girlfriend's jeans and white patent leather shoes they bought for 200 bucks so they can look like they spent $5 on them at Salvation Army (only Gaspard Auge can pull that look off).  Everyone was friendly, even the 300 pound bouncer who bore a slight resemblance to Big Black.

Also, and this is probably the most important thing, it has two indoor bocce ball courts (are they courts? fields?) running right down the middle of the place.  I didn't actually play, but just knowing they were there made me feel all warm inside.  

Getting back to my apartment in Bushwick was no fun (3 wrong trains and a $20 dollar taxi later), but still the place is worth a visit.  It gets the pH Seal of Approval (whatever that's worth).

702 Union Street
Brooklyn, NY

No comments:

Post a Comment