Tuesday, April 7, 2009

BMW Art Installation in Grand Central



Me and my lovely lady friend had ourselves a fantastic Sunday this past weekend.  We walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, hung out in DUMBO, got a great dinner, and finished it off with "Slumdog Millionaire".  But perhaps the coolest, or at least most cultural 'activity' we did was check out the BMW Art Installation that was coming to an end in Grand Central.  I believe Sunday was the last day, so I should've mentioned this earlier, but I felt I'd share some pictures 'Lee' got and, as I'm too lazy to write in my own words what it was all about, paste GermanCarScene.com 's blurb about it.

"A public art installation will open in New York's Grand Central Terminal on March 25, 2009, featuring two distinct sections made possible by BMW.  One is a collection of four iconic BMW Art Cars designed by:

 Andy Warhol, 
 

                                      

                                               
  Rob Lichtenstein,

                                     


Robert Rauschenberg,





and Frank Stella" (only pic not taken by (Lee))




Also there was a project by Robin Rhode, a contemporary artist.  He used the all new 2009 BMW Z4 Roadster mounted with special paint dispensers to create a footbal sized painting, a 30' by 40' sections of which was on display as well as the car that created it.  



  

The installation as a whole was visually stunning and  very cool to see such original pieces only feet away (you could see Warhols finger traces in his car).  I'd read about the 'Art Cars' years before in my Pop's Autoweek, and to see them up close and in person was very surreal.  Thanks for coming with me String-Bean.

No comments:

Post a Comment